Secondary Education (6-12th grade)
Post-Baccalaureate Endorsement Program
For individuals who have earned a non-teaching Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution and wish to qualify for the initial Virginia teaching license in grades 6- 12th in Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, English, Mathematics, Physics, and Social Studies .
- Earned a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.75
- Passing score on Praxis I or equivalent scores on SAT, ACT, or VCLA/combination as prescribed by the Virginia Board of Education
- Go to Non-degree Admissions and submit the Application for Non-degree Entry and Application for In-state Tuition to the Office of Admissions. Read "General Information"
- Submit the Post-Baccalaureate Endorsement Application (schedule an appointment in the Office of Teacher Education Services and Advising with program advisor, 757-683-3348)
- See curriculum sheets below:
Continuance: Must be met prior to the start of the teacher candidate internship semester.
- Maintain a minimum overall GPA of 2.75
- Passing score on Praxis II for the appropriate Secondary content:
- Biology: Content Knowledge, Test Code 5235, passing score of 155
- Chemistry: Content Knowledge, Test Code 5245, passing score of 153
- Earth Science: Content Knowledge, Test Code 5571, passing score of 156
- English: Content Knowledge, Test Code 5038, passing score of 167
- Mathematics: Content Knowledge, Test Code 5161, passing score of 160
- Physics: Content Knowledge, Test Code 5265, passing score of 147
- Social Studies: Content Knowledge, Test Code 5081, passing score of 161
- Passing score of 470 on the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA) Code 091 and 092
- Complete all course work required in your program of study with at least a C-
- Complete all classwork within 6 years of initial enrollment
- Pass the written Comprehensive Exam
- Submit the teacher candidate internship application for student teaching placement in accordance with the established deadlines.
- Passing grade on the professional portfolio
- Passing grade on the teacher candidate internship
Apply for the Initial Virginia Teaching License